[NTLK] ebay/paypal scams OT

From: Alex (lexxel_at_sent.com)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 20:45:07 PST

OT, but another frustrating problem I'd bet many arent aware of.
Seems if you sell something and get paid with paypal, if you dont
send the item to a "confirmed" address, if the buyer complains saying
he didnt receive, paypal debits your account the total payment amount!

This happened to me. I sold an item, sent it to a guy with an
unconfirmed address. There was a snag in shipping by the shipping
company, and instead of talking to me, he complained to paypal. They
asked me to provide shipping info. I did. The package was located by
the shipper and the buyer got the item. Then a week later, I get an
email from paypal saying they have decided I owe the guy a full
refund, including shipping, bc I cant prove I sent it to his
confirmed address (bc he has an unconfirmed address).

For over a week I tried emailing paypal and asked what their appeal
process is. Apparently they dont have one. And all they seem capable
of sending me is cut-and-pasted web-replies.

So now this person has the item, and all his money back, including
the cost of shipping, about $100.
And paypal thinks this is the fair solution.

Paypal users, be warned.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html