Re: [NTLK] Expand and BU word-list

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 02:56:19 PDT

Roman Pixell wrote:
> What popular ways are there to expand the wordlist? In it's default
> state, the Newton seems to be limited to 100-200 words. I'd like to go
> beyond this limit and add as many words as I want. Is this doable?

Is it limited to 100-200? AFAIK you can store a lot more, but I have
alt..rec active, maybe that expends the space for added word?
In case you're looking for getting better recognition by expanding your
(Swedish?) word list I would first recommend to get a dictionary and
ask Paul Guyot instructions how to build a special dictionary for the
Newt.
Ask any of the happy users of the French, Italian, Dutch, Finnish,
Estonian, Danish and Brazilian Portuguese dictionaries how it improved
their Newts...

> Also, can I somehow backup the wordlist to a separate file? Is
> NewtSync a possible way of doing this?

Now there used to be a German package for this, been so long ago that I
used it that I don't remember anymore. I abandoned it for Paul's
solution though and never looked back.

> As a last point, wouldn't it be nice if wordlists could be sorted,
> like medical, technical, mathematical etc terms?

No clue how to do that.

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html