[NTLK] Another Newt joins the WIFI revolution

From: Blair Rosser (newton_at_7thfloormedia.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2003 - 00:30:31 PDT

After mistakenly assuming that two wifi cards was all that I needed to
create a wireless network, I went out and got a base station.

It is (like many others, I'm sure) a combo router/wireless hub. Plug in
high speed access in one port, wireless transceiver, and there are 4
more ports for wires to other devices. The Newt required very little
configuration in the end, but there were a few gotchas.

Not that anybody is asking, but I needed to know the ISS of the base
station, and this needed to be entered in the "owner info" site I
created for the wireless set up. I tried a number of times to connect
without setting the "site" info to the wireless config. I should have
knowed better....

I have the Proxim OEM card that was going dirt cheap on TigerDirect a
few weeks back ($22 each), and a MN-500 ($115 ... okay, I admit it -
it's a Microsoft base station - best deal in the store). So, for under
$200 Cdn, I was able to get two PC cards and a base station. Not bad.
Now I just have to wait for summer to return so I can surf and listen to
mp3 streams from the hammock in my back yard.

Thanks again to Jim for sourcing the cards, and to Paul for patching the
lantern patch to work with them, and lastly to Hiroshi for the Wavelan
driver.

I may be late to the game, but it sure is fun to play....

blair

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html