Re: [NTLK] Classic Appletalk under Mac OS 10.3? This is wierd!

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 06:44:55 PST

First of I do not understand why you are going to change the Ethernet cables
if you are connected to a router already.
Does the router not support routing of AppleTalk packages?
But you mention that AppleTalk is switched on if you are connected to your
router.

I would suggest to connect both, your Mac and your Newt to the router, or do
you have kind of a DSL router with one Ethernet port only? In this case I
would put a Hub inbetween rather than changing cables.

The other aspect is that the Newt is normally not recognised in a network as
long as there is no network activity from the Newt (even the network card is
switched to sleep mode).
You can see that easily on the activity Led on the network card/router/Hub.
As soon as the Newt starts an activity on the network the network card
switches on and therefore the activity Led is lit.

So I would expect that if you run for instance NCU on the Mac and you start
the Dock application on the Newt searching for a Mac it will most probably
find your Mac. But again: as long as the Newts network card is not active
(which is teh case most of the time), teh Mac simply detects no network -
and switches off AppleTalk...

So finally I recommend to connect to your router or if that is not possible,
to put a Hub inbetween.

Cheers
Johannes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html