Re: [NTLK] Help! How do I turn on Classic Appletalk under Mac OS 10.3?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 06:21:39 PST

on 24/11/03 05:58, Paul Vaughan at paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an eMac which I've just upgraded to Mac OS
> 10.3, and I can't get appletalk to turn on in Classic,
> so I can't connect my 2100 using ethernet.
>
> Having previously connected successfully to NCU on a
> G4 under 10.2, as soon as I upgraded the OS on the
> eMac, I went to Network preferences and turned on
> Appletalk.
>
> But, when I launch NCU I get the message, "Could not
> select an Appletalk connection because Appletalk is
> not active. To make Appletalk active, open Chooser
> from the Apple menu.."
>
> When I open chooser and click to make Appletalk active
> I get the message, "Please make sure that you are
> connected to an Appletalk network." followed by
> "Appletalk cannot be opened".
>
> Then a Finder alert appears saying, "To turn on
> Appletalk, open Network preferences and click
> Appletalk."
>
> But I had already done that and turned it on!
>
> The Newton found the eMac on the network, but on
> trying to connect it said, "The selected Mac OS
> computer cannot be found on the network."
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know how
> to get Appletalk to work in Classic under OS 10.3?

When you open the AppleTalk control panel in Classic, does it say that
AppleTalk is using Ethernet?

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html