Re: [NTLK] NPDS/hostname NAT

From: Kris Herlaar (k.herlaar_at_chello.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 18:35:07 PST

On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 02:24 AM, Finn Thain wrote:

>> I'm connecting my Newton 130 over a null-modem connection to the G4,
>> and want to run an NPDS server at toves.alice.dyndns.info
>
> Does trove resolve to the same address as alice.dyndns.info? Assuming
> you
> only have one IP, and assuming the g4 is your internet gateway, you
> will
> need to use NAT (aka Internet Sharing), since the newt will have an
> unregistered address.
>
> NAT permits you to get out to the internet from your internal LAN
> addresses, but it is also capable of port forwarding, so that incoming
> HTTP would be redirected to the newton. See man natd for details. I
> couldn't make it work, but I didn't try too hard, and as always YMMV.

You might want to check out IPNetShareX
<http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_gnat_overview.html> , it's free for
personal use, and is basically a gui to control gnat (gnu network
adress translation) Works perfectly for me (haven't tried it with a
newton yet though).

Kind regards,

Kris

No! Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html