Re: [NTLK] Serial Channel 3

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 08 2003 - 18:49:12 PST

> >What do I have to do to use Serial Channel 3 on my 2100 as an AppleTalk
> >port? I know that I need an LT1323 to make it AppleTalk compatible, but
> I'm
> >not entirely sure how to wire it. I want to be absolutely sure that this
> >won't damage my Newton.
> >

> Messing with hardware always has the risk of breaking something, but I
> have done very bad things to that port and it still works. IIRC, in the
> LT1323 data sheet appears the exact wiring you need.

Well, I know that all mods are risky, but I want to minimize that risk.
Knowledge is power in that regard.

I am looking at the datasheet right now and it shows some signals inverted.
I remember reading in the Interconnect specs that some of those pins are
inverted, but I don't remember which ones. In the Interconnect specs, some
of the pins are labeled things like Chan3NotDTR. Is that pin inverted? I
would guess it is because of the Not, but I am not entirely sure.
"Remember, knowing is half the battle!"

Also, which am I supposed to use, the differential driver or the
single-ended driver?

> >What speed are the Newton's serial ports? RS -422 can support up to 10
> >Mbaud. Can the Newotn drive them that fast?
> >

> The newton can use up to 230400 bps with its internal clock. There's a
> way to use external clocks trough the handshake pins, but i haven't tried
> that.

That's a pretty impressive speed for a serial port.

> >I also understand that I would need a driver to make it do anything.
Would
> >there be any way to make it work with the Dock application as an item in
> the
> >"Connect via" menu?
> >

> That's the easy part. There is source code available to make new Dock
> options, just specifying the 3rd serial port will make it work.

Where could I find this source code? What language is it in, C or
NewtonScript?

> >Also, what are the specifications of the internal header? Is it the same
> as
> >the interconnect port? If so, what is its orientation?
> >

> There seems to be a document that explains it, but it's never been
> released. It's not the same as the interconnect port.

Well, I'll just have to find the pinout for myself, then.

<rant>
I wish that companies would release technical documents for their abandoned
devices. Of course, doing that would make life easier for competitors.
Except Apple left the PDA market entirely, so how could releasing Newton
technical information harm them at all?
</rant>

> >Lastly, what happened to the Q blueprints? Did anyone ever get them?
> >

> I was thinking the same yesterday.

Those blueprints would be cool to say the least. My Newton's case is in
good condition, but I certainly want a way to replace its components when
they do wear out.

> D.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html