Re: [NTLK] OK, Ethernet it is

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 17:37:33 PST

on 04/03/03 20:20, John Charlton at johncharlton_at_mac.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:01 , Peter H. Coffin wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 05:12:09PM -0500, David-Michael Cook wrote:
>>> What was I hearing about "mem card exchange" a few days ago? Seems like
>>> too much to ask for someone to send me their memory card, but if
>>> anyone'd be willing that would be truly awesome... :)
>>
>> Basically, I'm trying to find a way to manage building the cards that
>> doesn't involve blowing away my Newt in the process...
>
> Can you not just file the relevant extensions on a card, then pop that
> card in the mail? If I filed Newton Internet, Farallon Enet, MIE Ethernet
> and Newton Devices on a card, and put that in another 2100, wouldn't that
> do the trick (for the Farallon at least)? Don't have a working machine to
> test it on, am I missing the blindingly obvious, or the sneakily obscure?

That would work but then you would have to reinstall those packages on your
Newton since filing them will merely move them to the card. If you eject the
card, then you know longer have the drivers! You would need to find
something to copy the drivers, not merely move them. However, remember that
you can't have 2 packages on the same Newton, no matter if they are on a
card or on in the internal memory. However, you might only have a warning
and be able to duplicate them. They would just not be activated.

However, I still don't know what you could use to make a copy. I've checked
SBM Utilities, but it doesn't have the option of duplicating programs. You
could try to file them on the card, then connect to your computer and try to
re-install them to the internal memory. You would maybe get a warning that
they won't be activated, but once you have them and eject the card, I think
that tapping them might activate them. If not, doing a soft reset would do
it.

Unless someone else has a better idea. I think the best thing is to beam.
However, make sure you keep the EEUnprotect package on your Newton and make
sure you 'unprotect' all the packages in NIE. I don't know which one, but
somebody on this list posted over the weekend that she could not beam that
one. But after using EEUnprotect, she was then able to beam the offending
package.

-Laurent.

geek n.: A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one
who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not
mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia.
Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect,
but not all are hackers themselves - and some who are in fact hackers
normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they (quite properly) regard
`hacker' as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than
self-assumed.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html