Re: [NTLK] OK, Ethernet it is

From: John Charlton (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 18:57:18 PST

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:37 , Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> That would work but then you would have to reinstall those packages on
> your
> Newton since filing them will merely move them to the card. If you eject
> the
> card, then you know longer have the drivers! You would need to find
> something to copy the drivers, not merely move them. However, remember
> that
> you can't have 2 packages on the same Newton, no matter if they are on a
> card or on in the internal memory. However, you might only have a warning
> and be able to duplicate them. They would just not be activated.

Right, but since as a lender you would presumably have a dongle (or better
yet SER-001 yeah!) and could re-load the drivers, make another card,
re-load, etc. until you had a supply for the dongle-disadvantaged. When
they come back from loan you'd have to do the same thing, hence the
nominal fee.

BTW I've just (a month later, ahem) written to Andy Diller to see if he
still had cheap 2Mb cards. I can fill these up with drivers and stuff. As
it usually takes me a month to get to anything done (despite my Newton, or
perhaps because of it) I won't suggest I take on the lending duties on a
permanent basis. Some other folk au fait with PayPal (and time-management)
  had made motions though.

Perhaps David-Michael could be the first test subject?

jc

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html