[NTLK] New to Newtons

From: Trish Benedict (kundry_at_pacific.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 01:11:00 PDT

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

> It is possible to install packages with the iMac ir port using DIL
> tester, but if your desktop G3 is a beige G3 with a serial port then
> that will be your best way.

Yes, I have the basic beige G3, upgraded with a USB/FW card. I keep thinking
I should get a newer, faster machine, but then I think about how much I like
the flexibility of having all these ports.

> Instead of buying a dongle for $40 buy PCBman's SER 001 board
> http://www.members.tripod.com/mrpcbman/ .

I wondered what the break-out tab up there was for! Are there other kinds of
internal cards for that slot - or was it intended for an internal modem?

> If you know another newton user borrow a dongle to install ethernet
> software and use an ethernet card for installing and doing backups.

Wish I did. I took it to the Ukiah MUG meeting after I bought it and I don't
think anyone there except the founder had ever even seen a Newton. I hadn't
except for playing around with one once at Circuit City.

Well, it doesn't look like I'm going to get it set up for email before we go
on vacation Monday, so I guess I'll stop playing with it until we get back.

Thanks for the help and I'll be back mid-month.

Trish Benedict

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html