Re: [NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: Finn Thain (fthain_at_telegraphics.com.au)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 00:01:36 PST

> I've seen some of the posts on this subject before. I propose a twist: Make
> a smaller Newton using off the shelf parts.

For my money, the Newton charm lies in the software more than the hardware
(I use a MP120 :), so why not use existing hardware? Cheaper than
reinventing the wheel.

Linux has been ported to iPaq and everything else (including the airport
basestation!), so now all we need is a cross-platform ARM emulator for
linux and a ROM dump... or not.

Reverse engineering the ASICs may be a show stopper. (A small amount of
inside knowledge might go a long way towards determining the feasibility?
Sadly, any assistance from apple on this score is about as likely as the
proverbial improbability.)

The ROM copyright is not an issue for Newton owners (at least, that seems
to be the case for the users of Mac emulators).

--Finn

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html