[NTLK] Revisiting that old idea: Build our own Newton

From: ForSurf999_at_aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 14:49:25 PST

Hi Everyone. A 9 year Newton veteran here who has lurked for far too long.
Here's my first post.
I'm at that crossroads: stay with Newton, or try to move on. Moving on is
painful, since everything else stinks. I know, I've been experimenting with
Palm and iPaq. So it brings up that old question: why don't we build our own
Newton.

I've seen some of the posts on this subject before. I propose a twist: Make
a smaller Newton using off the shelf parts.

One of the biggest parts of our Newtons is the battery pack. What if we got
some folks on board with knowledge of lithium polymer batteries as well as
some of the folks who have created new (i.e., transparent) cases and built
ourselves a smaller Newton?

I've seen the pictures of disassembled 2x00's and 130's. Could we also
change the internal board layout to the point that an even smaller case with
a form fitted lithium polymer battery were possible? Re-arranging the
internal boards? i.e., the connectors, etc.

We could even create a "super Newton" with the following:

-Overclocked CPU with built in change switch
-New super bright screen (blue or white, depending on preference)
-super powerful form fitted lithium polymer batter
-built in sound dongle??
-a brand new small case, as tiny as we can fit all this stuff into

Get crazy and take out a Wi-Fi setup and take out one PCCard slot. Or lots
of variants.

I've seen the "supposedly real" mini 2000 prototype on
http://www.a-in-a-circle.com/newton/design.html. Could we make that a
reality with our off the shelf parts?

Let's get going! I don't want to leave Newton behind!

Will

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html