[NTLK] Newton Bootstrapping (was: IrDA to USB adapter)

From: Newtvana (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 11:24:07 PST

On Saturday, January 25, 2003, at 11:34 PM, Robert Benschop wrote:
> on 26-01-2003 2:43, Newtvana at newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com wrote:
>> I came across a USB to IrDA adapter at Fry's this afternoon and found
>> some more info on it: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=bf-120+irda
>> I have an iBook that I'd like to use this on to connect to my MP2000.
>
> Why IrDA, just for the price difference with Wireless, even in that
> case an
> Ethernet card makes more sense, at about $15 plus a crossover cable
> it'll
> cost you $25 tops and you'll have a connection about 20 times faster...

But I'm trying to work within the boundaries of a fully reset MP2x00.
Since NIE and the Ethernet drivers are not part of the base system, I'm
trying to find additional options that will also work for others. I see
that there's four ways to bootstrap a Newton from Zero:

Ethernet (wired or wireless): This is not an option as discussed above.
The OS doesn't support this without additional packages.

Serial: This is built-in, but requires the Dongle, which is no longer
produced, and for modern Macs a user needs a USB->Serial adapter at a
minimum of $40, so we're looking at about a $60 solution for many
people.

IrDA: Because the IrDA port is built into the Newton and has everything
necessary to transfer packages, all that's needed is the ability to
have the Mac be able to transmit the Infrared signal. Many Mac laptops
can, and if there's a USB->IrDA adapter that works for other Macs/PCs
*and* costs less that the Serial Port solution, then we're on to
something. (What would help here also is a Carbon or Cocoa Mac OS X NCU
replacement.)

Start a 'Newton Memory Card Swapping Library': This option would have
people send in a blank 2 to 8 megabyte Linear flash card and a nominal
fee ($5), for which they would receive back a Linear Flash card with
the drivers they need on it: NIE, Ethernet Drivers, ATA Drivers,
DataRescue, or others as needed.

...Ross...

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html