Re: [NTLK] Newton Bootstrapping

From: Andrew Diller (dillera_at_sudanacid.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 11:45:17 PST

I would imagine this scenario for the most practical newton
bootstrapping:

Items:

- newton MP2000/2001
- serial cable w/ dongle 9 pin (these are available)
- ethernet card (preferably wireless)

The key, as I see it, is having the mp2000 -> 9 pin cable. Then all you
need to find is a windows machine that has internet access. Which is
not that hard to find. Work, a friend, a family member someone you know
has one.

If you newt is wiped, get to a windows machine. Hit UNNA and download
NIE, ethernet drivers, NCU.

Quickly install NCU and connect the newt. Install NIE and drivers for
your network card.

Your back.

While I use a mac typically, and you could use one for this procedure,
it's much quicker to install NCU and get it up on a windows machine
than and OSX mac. And with Macs, you have the whole "what freakin ports
does _this_ mac have" problem.

I bet everyone out there can find a windows box with net access that
they can use for an hour to bootstrap a newton back to ethernet
capabilities.

Now if we had a nice .Mac service, that let you backup your newton to a
network accessible host, then you could take the next step and restore
your last backup from the internet, once you had completed the above
steps.

-andy

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html