Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 10:28:15 PST

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 10:16 PM, Jon Glass wrote:
> Good suggestions re: your quotes problem. I'm surprised, however, that
> nobody has suggested the Newton's wonderful expansion feature...
.
.
> I'm partial to using the forward slash to begin my shortcuts

I like the auto-expand macro feature too, but that forward slash gives me a
helluvatime. With my writting style, the slash key gets misinterpreted as
some other various stroke. I know that "Up and to the Right" is more
accurate, but I just cant seem to break my habit of going "Down and to the
Left."

I use the ">" (greater than symbol) after macros sequences because it
reminds me of a command that says "expandthisnow>" I've also found it's
sometimes hard to remember ALL my macros I've created so, being consistent
on how I define them (i.e. 2 or 3 easy letters and ">" symbol) has been a
big help.

Here are some macros which I have defined that seem to be quick, accurate
and easy to remember. Note the lack of a ">" character on some of the
double sequences.

cr> = Carriage Return
crcr = Double Return
t> = Tab
tt> = Double Tab
sp> = Space
spsp = Double Space
sds> = - (space dash space)
qt> = "
qtqt = "" (double quotation)
ap> = '
apap = '' (double apostrope)
qm> = Question Mark
xm> = Exclamation Mark
amp> = & (Ampersand)
co> = Colon
sc> = Semi-Colon
pob> = P.O. Box
rem> = Remember To (for the assist)
rap> = RAParker
at> = @
qz> = Quadzilla.NET

For periods, commas, and other punctuation, I've have been fairly
comfortable using the double tap steps available in the following keyboard
enhancements.

CaretPro - Expands the Caret (insertion) Menu for nearly all punctuation
plus many keyboard functions (sp del ret tab, etc.) Additionally, there
are two customizable menus for quick insertion of common snippets of text
(the date, time, ".com", ".org", ".net" , "http://www." or your email
address).

Writers Keyboard - Adds a small pre-keyboard that opens before your full
keyboard. One more tap and the full keyboard opens. I use this for quick
access to ALL 4 directional arrows and the del, tab, space or return keys.

HighLite 2000 - As I mentioned before, it works great, but on a Newton 120,
it's only 50% functional, not to mention a little memory hungry, so I have
since removed it. What is nice about it is the way it activates only upon
highliting! Although I found that it sometimes got in the way, I would
still consider it perfect for "large creative projects"

LeapNKeyboards & PunctPad - I keep this combo Frozen on my Newt simply
because I like to have a few more options available, just in case.

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for Mac OS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html