Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: Nick M. (crystal_castle_at_m6.dion.ne.jp)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 15:47:57 PST

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the mailing list. So far it's been a very
interesting read :^)

On 12 18, 2003, at 4:09 AM, Rhonda Hyslop wrote:

> ...Unfortunately, it consistently failed miserably on the quotes around
> dialogue. I ended up using the caret punctuation menu to open quotes
> the
> majority of the time, because it turned out to be faster to wait for
> all
> the pending words to be translated then hit the caret than trying to
> write the quotes then go back and correct them when the Newt messed up.
> It would interpret them as "11", "k", "K", or various other incorrect
> letters, or a combination of the incorrect interpretation of the quotes
> with the word immediately afterward which gave me completely
> nonsensical
> words. Or sometimes it would interpret the quote as a double-tap, then
> I'd have to pause, close the keyboard, put the caret back where it
> belonged, and keep going...

I used my MP120 before (now 2100) as an electronic diary. I live in
Japan, and my job requires a lot of travel time by train, subway, bus,
etc. The Newton makes a _perfect_ platform for a diary. I have an
iBook, but it's a little too bulky, my Duo's battery wouldn't last a
whole day, and pen & paper gets a little messy on the bus ;^) (I like
fountain pens.) I never really experienced too much writers cramp from
the Newton.. mostly just from holding it while standing. I rotated the
screen on my MP120 and it was generally OK.
I have had the exact same problems you mentioned here, mostly with
quotation marks. Usually, the faster I put them in, the better my
Newton will interpret them. I generally use the caret for quotation
marks like the ";" which is almost impossible for me to put in.

> ..."Is that a Newton? Do they still work? I've never actually
> seen one being used, but when Apple was advertising them I really
> wanted
> one..." It's funny, usually people don't recognise it at all, or think
> it's a palm pilot or something.

I had a guy say "Whoa! Is that an antique??" When I pulled out my 2100.
Usually the handwriting recognition leaves them saying "Wow, that's
really cool!"

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html