Re: [NTLK] [OT] Behind the Times

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 15:50:54 PST

Actually I've only had the MP-130 for about 4 months and it was purchased as a "test" of the handwriting recognition system. The MP was priced reasonably for that purpose. I'm saving my nickels and dimes so I can get a 2x00; I am eager to try out Works on the Newton.

As for the phone, I did have one in the early 80's but when I moved back to my home grounds in Western New York, I declined to get a phone, since I live by myself and either lived near work or didn't need to be contacted by my employer when I wasn't at work. And of course, there would be absolutely no reason to call myself at home, would there?!

Also, anyone who needed to get in touch with me knew how, and anyone who couldn't get in touch with me had no business doing so!

I haven't owned an automobile in 24 years and I don't own any other form of motorized transportation, either. (Yes, I am licensed to drive.)

Additionally, I only ever got my first television ten years ago, and a VCR shortly after that, although I don't have a DVD player. (Don't plan to get one either.) I did adapt music CDs quickly (by 1984) especially after hearing a recording of Pictures at an Exhibition performed using the original grand piano score. It totally blew me away. (We never did quite make it to the little "music cubes" like in A Clockwork Orange, did we?)

Up until about four years ago when I was finally exposed to Macs firsthand, I was still exclusively using my Apple IIgs for all my computing needs; I'm strictly on the Mac platform now, though (8600/300). And if I ever need a bit of nostalgia, I can go fire up my Lisa 2/10 for a spell or even the IIgs if needs be.

You see, I don't really have a problem with technology when it is something I can use. If I don't have much of a need for it, then I am not likely to adopt it. I might be very idiosyncratic, but I am *not* a luddite. :-)

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html