Re: [NTLK] Thoughts on using the newton for large creative projects...

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 16:36:21 PST

* Nick M. <crystal_castle_at_m6.dion.ne.jp> [17 Dec 2003 15:47]:
> and pen & paper gets a little messy on the bus ;^) (I like fountain
> pens.) I never really experienced too much writers cramp from the
> Newton.. mostly just from holding it while standing.

I like fountain pens too, actually. They're a large part of the reason
I'm used to pressing very, very lightly when I'm writing...

I'd never actually gotten writers cramp from my Newton before this
November; even taking class notes for 5 1hr classes in a day didn't
cause it. It only showed up after about 8 hours of solid writing...

> I have had the exact same problems you mentioned here, mostly with
> quotation marks. Usually, the faster I put them in, the better my
> Newton will interpret them.

I've found the biggest problem is in starting with quotation marks. If
they're at the end of a word they're about half the time interpreted
correctly; if I have words immediately before the quotation marks at the
beginning of a word, they're about half the time interpreted
correctly... and by Newton standards 50% accuracy is horrible. But it's
when I'm *not* in the middle of writing something and I start with
quotation marks that I have the most trouble.

> I generally use the caret for quotation marks like the ";" which is
> almost impossible for me to put in.

Oddly enough, I don't have trouble with that one, because it's always
right after a word. If I pause then try to write a ";" it fails
horribly though.

The newton just doesn't like to start anything with punctuation, it
seems.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project