[NTLK] The Fish - Bugs & Features (was Re: Why Isn't Everyone Excited with Eckhart's

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 10:55:27 PST

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 9:03 AM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:
> I'm only concerned when
> somebody has some negative experiences with my software and then
> doesn't let me know.

I tried The Fish a couple times on my MP120v2.0 and both times,
unencrypting caused instability. Installation and encryption would go
fine but, after the initial encryption, instability (with the
encrypted note and The Fish in general) was the norm.

Should I mention I run HyperNewt for Notes? :-) I realize HyperNewt
may be the conflict (see "The Fish" To Do list below)...But, as a
notes enhancement, it's almost indispensable, so I had to make a
choice :-(

I have since been using GeekSafe. Unfortunately, it only hides stuff
from prying eyes. From what I understand, an experienced person could
essentially crack the Newton's power-on PIN and read all the data from
the GeekSafe soup, if they were so inclined. The paranoid half of me
doesn't like that idea...but without an alternative for storing
passwords and pins I will just have to be sure I clutch my Newton
really close to me at all times.

I really like GeekSafe's design and operation, it is well suited for
quick access to all sorts of Account/Password, Card/PIN related
information and it has that definite "Newton" feel to it. Another
feature is that GeekSafe is small and self contained (i.e. easily runs
on top of the currently running app). This is important because when I
do use HyperNewt, memory on my 120 is really tight.

"The Fish" To Do list from 40hz.org
    * Invalidate all sensitive memory after usage
    * Add hidden entry fields for password entry
!-> * Add support for other NewtApp applications such as Names
    * Check for conflicts with other Notes extensions

Questions:

Could The Fish be used (eventually) to encrypt GeekSafe's soup?

Have you thought about enhancing GeekSafe with a "lite" version of
your encryption algorithm? The source for GeekSafe is available online
and I would think the original author shouldn't mind having it updated
with your name(s) as contributor.

Since the author of GeekSafe is distributing his software for free,
including source code, Would GPL Licensing still get in the way?

Thanks,

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for MacOS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"