Re: [NTLK] The Fish - Bugs & Features

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 11:21:36 PST

On 17 Dec 2003 10:55:27 -0800, RAParker wrote:
> I tried The Fish a couple times on my MP120v2.0 and both times,
> unencrypting caused instability. Installation and encryption would go
> fine but, after the initial encryption, instability (with the
> encrypted note and The Fish in general) was the norm.

I haven't really tried The Fish with a 120 yet, but I might give it a
shot.

> Should I mention I run HyperNewt for Notes? :-) I realize HyperNewt
> may be the conflict (see "The Fish" To Do list below)...

Might be, I can check that too if I find some time ;)

> Could The Fish be used (eventually) to encrypt GeekSafe's soup?

Yes, but I think it might be simpler to just use the Blowfish code
instead of the whole application integration stuff. The Fish works best
in encrypting single soup entries, and GeekSafe seems to be dealing
with more than one entry at a time (e.g. in the overview).

> Have you thought about enhancing GeekSafe with a "lite" version of
> your encryption algorithm? The source for GeekSafe is available online
> and I would think the original author shouldn't mind having it updated
> with your name(s) as contributor.

It sounds definitely possible, but I haven't given it a thought yet.
The simplest way would be to encrypt the data fields before storing
them.

> Since the author of GeekSafe is distributing his software for free,
> including source code, Would GPL Licensing still get in the way?

I don't think so, and I can anyway change the license if necessary. The
Blowfish code is under a quite liberal license already.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html