Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your Ne

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 10:01:01 PST

On Fri, Dec 5, 2003 4:37 AM, Steve Weyer wrote:

> > hmmm...what's an email proxy?
> >

> not sure if this is the correct terminology. basically, you click on a
> URL, and instead of contacting the host directly,

I've been reading about the features for www4mail. This sounds like what's
going on. www4mail recodes the buttons and links so that clicking on one
creates a new email with link you requested (browser dependent, of course).

> Newt's Cape contacts
> an intermediary server (or proxy) to handle the request. this can be a
> mail-based service (like www4mail.org) or http: proxy.

I'm still a little confused about proxy servers...I'm going to have to read
up on them and find out how it fits into the Newton dial-up scheme. Do you
connect to a proxy server in real time to request the info? or Just make
requests from the proxy server and it mails you the info (like www4mail)?

> here's some info about setting it up
> http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/newtscape/docs/userintf.htm#Proxy

More data! Great stuff, thank you!

> Newt's Cape can read HTML from messages in Inbox. File: Open Inbox.
> on 2.x Newtons,

Wow! I haven't tried receiving full HTML, but Newts Cape makes it sound
like it could be possible now. With pictures too? I need more time, more
storage space. I must check this out.

> it might be able to read GIF or JPEG files, though this
> depends on how they're encoded/stored by the email client

I've received a gif via email and GoFetch receives a plain-text, MIME
encoded message but GoFetch cannot read MIME so all I see is the (garbage)
text of the encoded attachment. www4mail has quite a number of options
available so I imagine it's just a matter of getting Newts Cape and playing
with it. More time...need more storage!

> Sloup
> wasn't complete enough to handle real backup or sync -- you'd be better
> off with some of the other data transfer tools.

Probably to pie-in-the-sky to hope for syncing and backing up over a dialup
connection. What I really want to do is to simply upload (or mail) a tab
delimited or comma seperated file without linebreaks, so that I could
update my contacts, appointments, notes, to-do's etc. on MyYahoo! account
quickly and easily. I'm still working on that one.

> > Thanks for your suggestions.
> >
> you're welcome!

Thanks again!

Ron