Re: [NTLK] Shell Access + www4mail.org = Surfing the web on your Newto

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 09:59:35 PST

Steve,

Many thanks on the great info, I'll reply to your second message first.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2003 4:45 AM, Steve Weyer wrote:
> for some reason, I had assumed that the dialup (and email client)
> wasn't using NIE (like on a 1.x Newton) so I had provided details on
> setting up the email proxy.

It's all about access and memory. I'm using a Newton 120 v2.0, a 2MB flash
card, Newton Fax modem PCMCIA card and an external modem.

I've only had a Newton for about 6 months but I've settled into a setup
that I like (extension/apps/etc). It has 421K free on the internal, 800K
free on the card and about 45K free heap on a restart. I can pull out the
memory card, insert the modem and not lose functionality NOR get complaints
about reinserting the card for this extension or that app.

> Ron, if you do have a full network connection via NIE, then much better
> to use the browser to pre-fetch pages (and graphics) -- Newt's Cape has
> a lot of scheduling features bulit-in. (you could still use the mail
> proxy stuff if you just wanted to tinker).

I have a full network at home with DSL access to the internet. I also have
a Quadra 840av running NetBSD for a firewall and router.

Since memory is limited, I don't expect to be able to access the internet
too easily, if at all, using NIE, even on a 2.0 Newton 120. What I've read,
you can do it, but you have to strip (freeze) the Newton of it's
functionality. I've tried it. I can't seem to strip it down enough to be
able to run any terminal app (pt100,eetransfer,newterm) without crashing. I
prefer a stable, functional Newton over being connect to the internet so
I've never even considered NIE.

When I found GoFetch Shell Transport I was thrilled. It fit very well into
the low memory scheme of my Newton and it was nicely integrated into the
Newton itself (stationary/routing/iobox). Now, all I needed was a unix
shell account.

(a quick, predatory glance towards my firewall)

Last month I hooked modem up to my firewall and compiled some unix software
and viola, I have my own ISP with a shell account.

Now, back to the first message...

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog OpenDoc Transport for MacOS
--
   |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"