Re: [NTLK] Dev for newton, os x style.

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 11:31:31 PST

Aux environs du 29/11/03 ā 19:45 -0500, sous le titre "[NTLK] Dev for
newton, os x style.", Dennis Ng prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>Does any one want to talk about current viable solutions for developing
>Newton software under OS X 10.3? Yes, I read the FAQ, but just wanted some
>tips before I start trying the suggestions of virtual serial ports, etc.
>Would like to try developing some fun stuff.

I'm not sure it's what you wanted to hear, but the solution is
Classic, NTK from NewtonDev package on UNNA. You can also do C/C++
for the native bits.

As mentioned in the FAQ, NTK won't start if you don't have a serial
port. You can either use an USB to Serial adapter and connect your
Newton via the serial port or install TCP Serial and connect your
Newton via AppleTalk. You don't have to boot in 9 (I don't know if
the FAQ mentions this, I did read that you had to boot in 9 at some
point).

Also, the Keyspan documentation doesn't say so but you can have the
drivers installed in both OS X and Classic. It works as long as you
don't use the adapter from applications in both environment and if
you unplug/replug the adapter until Classic apps find it (typically
after using the serial port in X).

There is no native solution.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/