Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET ?

From: Bernie A. Goltermann (bagoltermann_at_ksaits.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 10:32:47 PDT

Ed Kummel wrote:

>Aaagh! LocalTalk boxes! Keep them away...keep them
>away!!!! Those things are almost as hideous as AUIs!
>

>transfers occured as a whopping 230KBPS (about 10
>times slower than 10BaseT ethernet)
>They aint much good without the termination resistors
>anyway!

OK Ed I agree with you now, but back in the day when file size averaged
less than 1Meg these little boxes provided a fast, easy and inexpensive
setup and with repeaters they could go quite a long way all on a single
pair of wires. Of course now-a-days if you tried to push a 2GB file
through those guys you'd better start the transfer before you leave for
the weekend and hope it's done by Monday morning.

-Bernie