Re: [NTLK] OT phoneNET ?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 21:32:10 PDT

Aaagh! LocalTalk boxes! Keep them away...keep them
away!!!! Those things are almost as hideous as AUIs!
I think you can find those defined in ancient mac
devices of torture (along side with the chapter on
SCSI VooDoo!)They were Apple's claim to Networking
(Apple claimed that every Mac owner who had a printer
had a home network running in their house) This
allowed older macs to talk along telephone wire
(imagine a home network in a 5 level townhouse with
phone cabling running up and down the stairs) File
transfers occured as a whopping 230KBPS (about 10
times slower than 10BaseT ethernet)
They aint much good without the termination resistors
anyway!
Ed (Happy October Fest!)
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Rich Lindsay <rich_at_thisoldnewt.net> wrote:

> I have two of these connectors. Look like phone
> jacks on one side and=20
> mac serial on the other.
>
> what do these do?
>

> Keep the Green=99
> Rich
> This Old Newt, For all your newton needs
> http://www.thisoldnewt.net

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party