Re: [NTLK] My First Newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 14:56:34 PDT

On 17/09/02 17:15, "Karel Jansens" <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be> wrote:

> On Monday 16 September 2002 17:01, March Hare wrote:
>> YES! you can print from it.
>>
>> But you need a printer that has drivers on the Newt. There's a big
>> section about this in the NewtFAQ at www.thisoldnewt.net
>>
>> I use a DeskWriter 320 with a serial cable, but I'm getting a 340, as I
>> alreadyhave the InfraRed adapter for one. I've also printed to an Apple
>> Personal LaserWriter 300 via serial and an HP 6MP via IR. All from a
>> MP2100 (and a 130).
>
> Something I wanted to ask; if I print to a parallel printer via the
> PrintPack (well, actually I cheat: I printed to a linux workstation via
> serial and used a shellscript to pipe the print output to the printer
> connected to the PC), I get very low-res output. The reason for this, I
> learned, is that the Newton uses the same bitmapped fonts for its screen
> and printed output.
>
> Do Mac-originated printers produce the same low-resolution results, or do
> you get better output?
>
> I do have a way of getting PostScript-quality output from my Newton now,
> but this involves a linux PC, ethernet connections and esoteric
> configuration files for the netatalk daemon. Good quality output on the
> road would be enticing enough for me to start looking for a Macalike
> printer.

Non-PostScript printers are pretty much limited to the same output, no
matter if they are Mac specific or not. Apple might have provided better
drivers for their own printer, but I'm not sure about that. OTOH, you'll
always get the best output using a PostScript printer. You can find some
that are very cheap these days, you know...

-Laurent.

fish n.: [Adelaide University, Australia] 1. Another metasyntactic variable.
See foo. Derived originally from the Monty Python skit in the middle of "The
Meaning of Life" entitled "Find the Fish". 2. A pun for `microfiche'. A
microfiche file cabinet may be referred to as a `fish tank'.