Re: [NTLK] My First Newton

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 14:15:24 PDT

On Monday 16 September 2002 17:01, March Hare wrote:
> YES! you can print from it.
>
> But you need a printer that has drivers on the Newt. There's a big
> section about this in the NewtFAQ at www.thisoldnewt.net
>
> I use a DeskWriter 320 with a serial cable, but I'm getting a 340, as I
> alreadyhave the InfraRed adapter for one. I've also printed to an Apple
> Personal LaserWriter 300 via serial and an HP 6MP via IR. All from a
> MP2100 (and a 130).

Something I wanted to ask; if I print to a parallel printer via the
PrintPack (well, actually I cheat: I printed to a linux workstation via
serial and used a shellscript to pipe the print output to the printer
connected to the PC), I get very low-res output. The reason for this, I
learned, is that the Newton uses the same bitmapped fonts for its screen
and printed output.

Do Mac-originated printers produce the same low-resolution results, or do
you get better output?

I do have a way of getting PostScript-quality output from my Newton now,
but this involves a linux PC, ethernet connections and esoteric
configuration files for the netatalk daemon. Good quality output on the
road would be enticing enough for me to start looking for a Macalike
printer.

--
Jazz.
"Cognoscens me, cognoscens te, aha."