Re: [NTLK] Flash cards and errors -10551/-10607

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Oct 25 2002 - 14:08:02 EDT

On 25/10/02 12:58, "Francois Baligant" <newtontalk_at_nikita.cx> wrote:

> It didn't work any better.. Still message -10607 even when formatting
> from the Prefs.
>
> I took a deeper look at the Flash card using a Cisco 1600 router :
>
> 4096K bytes of processor board PCMCIA flash (Read/Write)
>
> Chip Bank Code Size Name
> 1 1 89A0 2048KB INTEL 28F016SA
> 1 2 89A0 2048KB INTEL 28F016SA
>
> (please notice the card is listed as Read/Write)
>
> Intel Serie II 28F016SA happend to be the chip used by Pretec as well:
>
> http://www.pretec.com/index2/product/SSD/FR2.htm
>
> and this card is listed as Newton compatible on that webpage.
>
> Could this be that because the card was used in a Cisco router before,
> the newton can't format it ? Would formatting the card before in a PC
> help ?

Using the card in a Cisco router wouldn't make it unusable in a Newton,
however, those Cisco routers have been reported to wear out those cards
pretty quickly due to almost incessant writes to the card. Those cards have
a limited number of writes that you usually never reach if you use them in a
Newton, but will shorten their life significantly if you use them in a
router.

What I think did happen in your case is that the card has developed some bad
sectors. Usually, on a laptop, those bad sectors (like bad sectors on a
disk) can be mapped out. However, on a Newton, the OS doesn't have this
functionality so whenever you have a single sector that goes bad, the entire
card is unusable.

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."