Re: [NTLK] Napalm - Palm Emulator screenshots

From: Trent Tuggle (Trent_at_Tuggle.Org)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 01:21:49 EDT

Someone, somewhere, wrote:

>>If you would pay real money for this let me know! Also let me know of
>>other suggestions for useful emulators for Newton.

Emulators?

Emulators?

How about old-fashioned *apps* ? Newt's Cape is an excellent and
well-placed piece of software, but it's high time that we pieced
together a modern web browser. It's too bad that the core of Mozilla
can't be ported. A 160 MHz cpu is enough for it; it's the slow memory
speed and platform limitations which seem (to my understanding) to pose
the real road-block to porting software. (Development on the Newton
seems to be so limited... at least in *some* ways)

If possible, I'd say that having a *fast* and *more capable* web browser
would do reams to extend the Newton's life. Not to mention
synchronization software would be omission. Finally, geek utilities
such as SSH or a *usefully fast* VNC implementation would help!

I guess I just think it's a shame that the platform is unable to climb
over some of its limitations, such as programming languages and
architectures. (C++ to NewtonScript translator anyone?)

Ok, maybe I'm a bit off-topic, I'll climb down from my soapbox and go
back to my corner (where I'm waiting for SimpleMail to transfer -- does
anyone know why it's so slow? Possible to optimize memory usage to not
hit the transaction engine with object updates? But again I digress...)