[NTLK] Porting apps (was: Napalm - Palm Emulator screenshots)

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 08:08:37 EDT

Trent Tuggle wrote:

> If possible, I'd say that having a *fast* and *more capable* web browser
> would do reams to extend the Newton's life. Not to mention
> synchronization software would be omission. Finally, geek utilities
> such as SSH or a *usefully fast* VNC implementation would help!

Basicially all of these would require something that we don't have yet: a
better implementation of NIE, one that is faster and provides faster
communication throughput, especially when dealing with Ethernet.

A faster browser would also need some fast graphics drawing, which is
unfortunately really slow to do through NewtonScript (witness Waba for Newton).

> I guess I just think it's a shame that the platform is unable to climb
> over some of its limitations, such as programming languages and
> architectures. (C++ to NewtonScript translator anyone?)

You can write C++ for the Newton, with Apple's MPW and the Newton C++ Tools
(all available from the NewtonDev archive in UNNA)