Re: [NTLK] nSync Public Preview 1 Available

From: Tim Federwitz (tim_at_realtwistedpair.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 2002 - 01:15:07 EDT

nSych looks awesome (how 'bout the icon?), and I really hope that I can
make use of it. (It is running as I write this, albeit very slowly)
Can't wait for the iCal support.

I am VERY new to Newton, so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge.
I JUST received my Newton MP2000, and have been lurking for a couple
weeks (before I even had my Newton). I have been experiencing many
problems regarding syncing my Newton to anything! (PC or Mac). For the
Mac, I have a PowerMac G3 300MHz BEIGE. I am running 10.2.1 on it but
I'm not certain how well it communicates through the older 8 pin serial
connections. I was easily successful in getting NewTen to install the
package, and it is easily running the scripts. Any idea on the
throughput of the serial connection? I thought it was supposed to be
38400? Should know by tomorrow morning how it goes.

Anyway, my PC is 2.0GHz processor, so I tried the "slowdown.exe" app to
see if I could get it to perform a full backup to no avail (which seems
to be the only thing that fails). I have tried to use LookOut, but I
can't seem to figure it out, or I'm having trouble connecting. Is there
a User Manual for this app? I can't seem to have it extract the records
from Outlook, and communication between the PC and Newt is sketchy at
best. I also seem to have better luck with package installs if I
initiate them from the Newt.

Back to MacOS. I received the "Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh
v.2.0" with my Newt, but when I installed it on OS 9.2.2 and connected
to my Newt, it told me that it wouldn't work with my model??!! Is this
for older Newton's (MP100-130)? This really threw me for a loop. I
have only been able to get a good backup on a flash card. I'd
definitely feel more secure if I could get a backup on a desktop
(either).

I have quite a bit of information in MS Outlook on my PC connected to an
Exchange Server (no choice), and would rather not have to go through
re-entering all of that info. Still trying to figure out how to sync
that info with my Mac, but I had hoped that the Newton could be my
middle man (so-to-speak). Any ideas why I'm having such problems?

.oO Love what this newsgroup represents!! Keep up the GREAT work *<;o)
Oo.

.oO Tim Oo.