Re: [NTLK] intro / bluetooth

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 07:50:42 EDT

> I dreamed about the old newton feel about three months ago.
> I woke up, ordered a 2100 via ebay.com (gementerprises, all went well btw
> even though the handling of payment sucked a bit) and here I am, a happy
> newtoneer again.
Dreams can come true! Welcome back.

> I am looking for a good gsm/mobile solution. the
> nokia cardphone works, I hear, but sucks a lot of power.
It's switched on only a few dozens of seconds up to a few minutes and even
if it sucks e.g. 250mA that's nothing in comparision to what your following
proposed setup might need. And you might increase your accu capacity to the
technical limit by replacement of the original 1100mAh cells with 1800mAh
cells (factor of 1.64 or 40h instead of 24h use). See also:
http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/Npages/Naccu/Naccu.html

> scenario: pcmcia card with usb and a bluetooth usb dongle (or a pcmcia
> blutooth card for that matter) -> connection to a bluetooth phone.
I think the whole set-up is to bulky and a simple cable connection between
Newton and phone is much less prone to malfunction then anything else beside
that a cable doesn't suck juice :-) I've tried to connect my SL45i (upgraded
from SL45) to my Newton and connected a standard Newton cable (Mini8-DB9)
via a Null-Modem adapter (self soldered) to the table charging station and
it worked, except the ISP settings.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG