Re: [NTLK] re- QTake, was --where have all the good newts gone?

From: Lui Frimmel (luifri_at_atnet.at)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 07:16:39 EDT

Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2002 12:09 schrieb richard_at_cyberphotographer.com:
> >Forget it. Spend two or three hundred dollars and by a Nikon CoolPix.
> >The images are amazing.
>
> the older coolpixies connect to newton using tibet/serial cable. from
> there you can use simplemail or newtftp to email or put the pictures
> on a server. i have even done this with my mobile phone-newton
> connection. avoid coolpix 100, 300 and 900 as ccd is horrible. 700 is
> best since it takes AA's, the best ccd ever (in terms of natural
> colour and skin tone), and has no zoom and no more pixels than you
> need. later coolpixies have bad skin tones/colour balance, too many
> pixels and crappy compact zooms that take away all your light and
> lens quality while encouraging you to be lazy about composition, a
> bit like every other stupid digital compact on the market now. the
> 990 has inaccurate manual focus distance display. manual focus is
> essential since most digital compacts fail to find focus in the
> evening. all are best used in review only mode so that batteries can
> last for many hours of continual use. fujis are great if you want all
> your friends to look red and yellow.

Hmmm - AFAIK the CoolPix 700 is not Newton compatible. Comparing the sho=
ts=20
from a 700 to that from the 990 I cant see any sharpness or skintone=20
advantage for the first one, en contraire.
For the optical zooms - its an amazing benefit doing real work with the=20
camera. While I mostly use the professional Nikon series for work its pre=
tty=20
nice to do jobs with the 990s in a crowded mass (demonstrations..) withou=
t=20
letting all people around know you are picturing for newspapers and witho=
ut=20
to fear the next police or demonstrants attack will ruin a $ 10000 equipm=
ent.
After some 1000 shots I have not seen there is "inaccurate manual meterin=
g"
Of course you can also use AAs in the 990 and of course anything other
than NiMh's is the wrong choice for dig cameras.=20
Any autofocus will fail under specfic light/reflex/material condition; th=
ats=20
why its called outoffocus under pros. I also used the 900/950 series and
upgrading my other cameras, I kept the 900 for the Newt. The CoolPix
100,300 did not work with Newt and the 950 had sometimes problems
in DL, but mostly worked.
The are some design flaws in the 9xx series- viewing the screen at sunlig=
ht is=20
impossible without some gimmicks, the flash is far to near the optic, no
real TTL (trough the lens measurement) for flash and the 900 had problems=
 with=20
the otherwise well done hinge.

Lui