Re: [NTLK] On the subject of Smartdog Software...

From: DJ Schoenfeld (DJFair_at_web.de)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 06:09:46 EDT

On 20.05.2002 11:17 "doppler" <doppler_at_mac.com> wrote:

> to this date, i am very sad for not having an alternative to nokia card
> phone 2.0. the nokia 7110 i carry in my pocket has a built-in 14.4 modem,
> but i cant use the modem part to cennect the newt *wirelessly* :(

Hi,

I am using a 7110 and my Newton via modem port. All you need is an original
Nokia-PC cable and a so called Sub-D-Adapter which is sold in by PBK
Solutions Germany (Price: 17 Euro).

Link (German):
http://newton.pbk-solutions.de/produkte/kabel/adapter_seriell.htm

This adapter is connecting the Mini-DIN-8 plug and the PC cable. You do not
need special modem drivers, just take one of those 14.4 drivers provided by
your Newton OS. Works well with Nokia 6210, 6310 and 7110 as well with most
Siemens and Ericsson cell phones.

Fax with a built-in modem is a bit buggy though. A PCMCIA-modem like
Megahertz Cruise Card or TDK 5660 connected with an old cell phone (without
built-in modem) works much better. No wonder, since Newton was built during
times when cellular phones with internal modem were quite rare.

DJ Schoenfeld