Re: [NTLK] [OT] Mac, PC, file exchange - (was: eMac, eMate, are we getting somewhere?

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 03:38:03 EDT

> At least when you are sending those pics to PC folks, you can make it
> work by
> Just wanted to make sure we were seeing both sides of the issue
> there... :-)

   As usual, there are three sides to every issue.. What everyone should
do (thought this idea only works if everyone does it), it to just encode
the type of everything as a MIME type at the beginning of the file
stream, like the BeOS does.. Then people who want to modify it can (and
the OS can support changing it there in a 'user-friendly' manner if it
wants to, or a power-user can just use a text-editor, the type will
never get lost as the file goes across the net/disks/etc, there's no
messy metadata in a hidden file (or multiple hidden files like OSX's dot
files - uugh! what a mess when I look at a disk on Windows), and
everyone (should) be happy. Oh, and webserving files is greatly
simplified as mime tables are no longer needed.

Jim