Re: [NTLK] AW: Cable for Farallon Ethernet card (2nd attempt)

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 08:02:51 EST

> Is there a (electrical) standard for this connectors ? Are they
exchangeable ?
Twice no is the answer. If something matches then only by chance because the
chinese manufacturer duplicated someone elses design 1 by 1. I've even seen
cards from the same brand and same manufacturer but from different times
using different connectors. Then I've opened the two cards (in my case land
line modems) and compared to find completely different designs.

The sense of proprietry connectors is that you have to buy spares to a
horrendous price. If the card is open you could e.g. consider to change the
connector or solder wires directly to the pads, but therefore you'd need the
original connector to find out what's where. Who's really re-engineering in
advance?

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand