Re: [NTLK] Still having ethernet issues...

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 06:39:14 EDT

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, WolfeMan wrote:

> My ethernet card is identified as a 3com 589c But.... when i run the 589c=
> driver the card just shuts off and the newton gives me the error for the=
> card just not being installed. so through some trial and error I got it=
> down to using the faralon driver instead of the 589c driver, it doens't=
> turn off the card now, but I get a 60088 error. which means that it can't=
> find dhcp. any help would be apreciated. This card shouldnt' be working=
> on the setting it's on.. but it's at least TRYING to get data now...
>
> Any ideas?

If you suspect the driver, do this:
-Remove any and all Ethernet drivers you have installed (as well as the
cards)
-Reset the Newton (button on the back)
-Install the Farallon Ethernet driver
-Reset
-Install the 3comaddon.pkg patch
-Reset
-Insert your 3c589C

And install the drivers on the internal store as well.

-60088 doesn't necessarially mean that the Newt can't *find* a DHCP
server, but merely that the request failed. What are you using as a DHCP
server? Router, Win2k Connection Sharing? Is it properly configured?