Re: [NTLK] Questions before I buy a 2100

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 09:38:58 EDT

This is just a long list of questions and
I cannot answer all of them, but I will try a few:

1) only cosmetic (labeling, case)

2) should be still available (but I am not sure)

3) I am happy with a 3Com 3C589D - make sure that the type of LAN connector
you get with the cards adapter cable will fit to your network (I have a
simple cable with RJ-45 connector at the end)

4) You can definitely surf the net via your LAN connection - There are a few
web browser packages, the most useful (and currently
supported) is Steve Weyer's Newt's Cape.

http://members.home.net/saweyer/newton/newtscape.htm

More info regarding web browsers can be found in the FAQ:

http://www.splorp.com/newton/faq/newton-faq-software.html#VD2b

5) That is more tricky with a WINDOSE machine - absolutely easy with a MAC
unfortunately the basic package Newton Connection Utilities (NCU) does only
work via serial on your Windose but via network on a MAC
There are several packages for data exchange NEWT-PC via network, but mostly
based on the transfer of so called soups from the Newt.

6) Very easy with NCU (serial connection required), but possible by
transferring the appropriate soup to the XP machine (not that convenient)

7) ideally with a tool from the same company - there was ACT for Netwon, but
I am not sure at which version they stopped the Newt support and if the
latest ACT for Newton version will be still compatible.

8) ACT for Newton, but it has been discontinued as far as I know.

9) There should be something useful, but I do not know. (compare answer to
12)

10) YES! You can use the keyboard you are used to work with every day,
providing that you are connected (PC only serial)via NCU. It should be
possible to create an interface from the Newt (serial RS 422) to a standard
keyboard.

11) make sure you get
- the Newt itself,
- at least one battery pack (or the battery tray for alkalines)
- the 9 Watt power adaptor
- if possible the Newt dongle (for serial connections, PrintPack, Newt
Keyboard) alternatively I would recommend the SER-001 board to be built in
- optional a PCMCIA Flash memory card (the larger the better, 32 MB are very
good)
- optional a PCMCIA Ethernet card WITH the appropriate adaptor
- leather or any other case ?

12) You already made the first step - contacting the Newt community -
welcome!
Regarding software the next step would be to check www.unna.org
Regarding hardware - there is still some support for the Newt repair from
Apple, but the cheapest solution would be to buy another second hand Newt.

Johannes