Re: [NTLK] HELP! MP2100 got wet... what do I do?

From: Stephanie Maks (steph_at_maksystems.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 14:06:08 EST

I have no technical training in these matters, but here is what I have
learned from personal experience, trial, and error:

If it were plain water that got in it, then leaving it alone and without
power for a few days might do the trick.

However, there are a couple considerations. Turning it on immediately could
have caused some damage, if the moisture inside was in a position to short
something in a bad way. It would have been better to leave it sit for a day
or two before attempting to power it on. (First order of business when
mixing water and electronics: Remove the batteries!!! Don't try turning it
on till you are sure it's dry inside and out!)

On the other hand, assuming the drink was not water, then as it dries
whatever was in it will stay behind as the water and / or alcohol
evaporates, which could leave a conductive residue that is continuing to
cause a short circuit.

As you've described a series of parallel lines on the display, it's probably
either part of the display circuitry or connections that has become damaged
/ shorted. Shorts to ground and shorts to power will cause different
behaviors to the screen.

I had a friend who was endlessly getting beer into his remote control, and
the solution to that was pretty simple but I would NOT do this to a newton.
I'd pry the remote apart completely, take the batterys out, and wash
everything, including the circuit board, with soap and water. Then let it
dry for several hours, and then re-assemble it. Once again, NOT for Newton!
I only mention this to illustrate that it is not the water or moisture per
se that is damaging. It is the moisture, combined with electrical current.

If you feel confident you could try disassembling the newton, and find out
where the liquid got to. There will probably be sticky where it's
evaporated. Then very carefully wash that bit clean.

Or send it to the professionals, get Apple to fix it for the $180 or
whatever they charge.

Good luck.

-Stephanie