Re: [NTLK] Lousy performance from a 20M card

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 10:39:06 EST

On 10/01/02 23:58, "Grant [Luxo Lamp] Hutchinson" <grant_at_splorp.com> wrote:

> In a previous message, Laurent Daudelin typed vigorously:
>
>> Funny that you're mentioning this, since I've got the very same card, also
>> from a dutch auction on eBay, and I would be willing to bet that it was sold
>> by Stars Computers (or StarComps), and it was auction #1310004396.
>>
>> Well, when I've got the card, I did first insert it in my 2100. The format
>> slip did appear saying that this card appeared new and asked to confirm
>> erasing it. I did tap the "Erase" button, but immediately got an exception
>> with error =AD10607 Flash card block is full. I then decided to give it a try
>> in my PowerBook. When doing so, the PowerBook would present me with the
>> initialize dialog in the Finder. But right after clicking OK, the PowerBook
>> would eject the card reporting that the card is damaged and cannot be used.
>
> I purchased four of these cards from the same dutch auction and all of
> them formatted correctly. The only issue I had was that on one of the
> cards the write protect switch was dislodged from it's slot in the end of
> the card, rendering it useless. The card still formatted and seems to
> operate correctly.

As a follow-up, I did receive an email yesterday evening from the guy at
Star Computers offering me to whether contact Viking and have the card
replaced, or contacting him for a refund. I might check with Viking first to
see if they would really replace it for free. 20 MB for about $20 is not
very expensive...

-Laurent.

careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author
suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directed
to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware;
compare crippleware, sense 2.