Re: [NTLK] Dashboard Macintalk Script

From: peter fraser (newtmanapple_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 19:26:28 EST

the error is -48601 ("a problem has occurred"), which
is overlaid on top of "Dash Board Compile Error - The
script code could not be compiled. Please check your
code for any typos, syntax errors, or illegal
characters and try again."

i have to catch my train soon, but will play with your
suggested line-by-line thing - thanks!

--- Stephanie Maks <newton_at_maksystems.com> wrote:

> Peter, what error do you get? It should give you a
> mesage number, probably a
> negative number five digits long starting with
> -48xxx.
>
> Also, try doing it one line at a time. Start with a
> blank script and put in
> only:
>
> local t := GetHilitedTextItems();
>
> and tap the Test button and see. It should compile
> ok, though it won't do
> anything after that.
>
> Then add beneath the first line:
>
> local vox := "[[svox kath]]";
>
> and tap test again and see. Once more, it should
> compile fine, but should
> do nothing.
>
> Then we'll skip the 'if...' stuff for now, and just
> add on the next line:
>
> foreach item in t do Playsound(vox&item);
>
> then tap Test again and see. --- obviously,
> highlight some text first before
> testing. You can just highlight the script itself,
> that works fine.
>
> If this works fine, then above the 'foreach...'
> line, add:
>
> if not(t = nil) then begin
>
> and after the 'foreach...' line add:
>
> end;
>
> Then highlight some text in the script and tap Test
> again, and see.
>
> By testing as you build, you can then find where the
> error lies.
>
> -Stephanie
>
> > yes, that's exactly how i did it. only thing i
> can
> > figure is that i'm messing up the brackets and
> > parentheses and that := thing. i used the
> keyboard
> > only, not the buttons on the right, for the
> > punctuation.
> >
> > but now after replacing everything like that with
> the
> > characters from the pucntuation buttons, i get the
> > same message.
> >
> > this is hard. no wonder i'm not a programmer.
>

> --

=====
--Peter
newtmanapple_at_yahoo.com