Re: [NTLK] Syncing feeling

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 21:15:52 EST

From: Julian Wright
(<mailto:julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz?Subject=Re:%20[NTLK]%20Syncing%20feeling%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;3DF9E5C5.30309.366CC4_at_localhost>>julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)

>While I'm at it, what's the best way of syncing Contacts and
>appointments on a PC?

I use Microsoft Outlook, and I sync using Outlink from PDA Direct. It works
pretty well. #1 problem is that it doesn't sync meeting locations. #2
problem is the Newton client doesn't work (yet) with a SER-001 attached.
Other than this I'm happy with it -- it's fast and reliable.

>Alternatively is there any way I can print to a printer that is
>attached to my PC?

SoftPrintPack from SYTEK Canada will let you print to a local or network
printer from a Newton using a Windows PC as a bridge.

>PS Is it just me or is NCU for Windows really unreliable with its
>communications? Installing packages of more than a few k in length
>results in it stalling...

I install gigantic packages all the time with Windows NCU and never
encounter a stall. Import/Export don't work for me, but package install
works fine.

If you can't get NCU working you might try Thomas Templemann's DIL tester
which has a package installer that even works over TCP/IP.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bond Shepherd
jbond_at_jameswhale.com

Americans practice different faiths in churches, synagogues, mosques and temples. And many good people practice no faith at all. - George W. Bush, finally gets it right in his Easter Address of 2002 My PGP key is available on public keyservers.