Re: [NTLK] New Newton User... Hello All!

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2002 - 22:07:04 EST

David-Michael Cook wrote:
> I'm extremely happy with this model and with what I've seen of the
> Newton community. I do have some simple questions, though.

As Rich already pointed out, we have a rather comprehensive (if not a little
disorganized) FAQ list:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

That said, I'm going to answer these anyways :)

> 1) I know the Newton uses an Indiglo backlighting system. About how
> long do these things really last? I have to say that the only
> disappointment with the Newton is its passive-matrix LCD, which means
> that I find myself using the backlight frequently (or readjusting
> ambient light). Is it bad to use it a lot? I really don't know what the
> ticking time bomb is on one of them and I'd appreciate it if someone
> could help out (have any of you gotten a dead backlight at all? If not,
> I'm probably in good shape :) )

This is in the FAQ:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIC5

> 2) The fact that it's an active-matrix display does have some
> advantages, like great power consumption. Having the Newt turned on and
> not doing anything--is this going to drain my battery? I realized it's
> kind of nice to just keep it open and on during my History class or
> something, but I'm wondering what kind of real juice that uses (just to
> stay idle for around 45 minutes)?

It's not going to drain it too much. Where you will see the most power drain
will be when using the backlight, or an ethernet card or modem card. Right
now, for example, with my Newton sitting in its stand with my wireless card
connected, it's consuming 180mA. Without my wireless card, just idle (with my
10MB linear flash card in), around 45mA. With the backlight on, around 72mA.

If you have a freshly charged and relatively new battery pack, and never turn
it on, the Newt should last months.

My power figures were measured using Avi's Backdrop, a great backdrop app:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/avibd/

> 3) I need the infamous keyboard dongle. Anyone know a good place to get
> them? I'll resort to eBay if I have to, but I'd really rather not (I'm
> fine with selling stuff on eBay but buying is... ahh, I've never really
> liked it...)

Well... there's eBay. Unless Woo's still got some...

> 4) Any nontechnical way to make that keyboard ANY quieter? :) It really
> is pretty loud! Not a biggie, but figured I'd ask it.

Off the top of my head no, but this has been discussed before: search the
list archives:

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/

> 5) I have an LCD iMac with OS X (Jaguar). All I want to do is transfer
> downloaded packages and occasionally back things up. I know I need a
> serial adapter--what else? (Particularly software)...

A USB->Serial adapter (with OS X and Classic drivers, I believe).
NCU:
http://newyork.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtilities/

> 6) (Stupid OS question) I'd like to be able to add assignments to my
> ToDo list that are long (sometimes maybe a paragraph of information)
> but the built-in Dates app (which I love btw) doesn't seem to have any
> way to do this (it cuts off after two or three little lines in that
> popup window where you write in the description). Am I missing
> something?

Built-in Todos kind of suck. A few months ago I switched to NewtToDo and
never looked back. It lets you easily add checklists or notes to a todo of
any length, as well as adding alarms and a nice view of its own.

http://www.tow.com/downloads/newttodo-1.11.sit.hqx

Of course, you'll need something to install it with first.

> 7) My 2100 didn't come with NewtonWorks, and I know I can download
> it... what all can I do with it that I can't do with the normal
> notepad? And of course this relates back to the core question: what's
> everything I need to transfer packages to the Newton?

NewtonWorks is basicially a framework for productivity applications. It
supports more complex stationaries than Notes does. It comes with a word
processing application that has actual basic word processing features.
There's also a plug in spreadsheet, QFWorks.