[NTLK] Hello, I'm your new.. um, Newbie... (aka 3 questions)

From: Aaron Eiche (aeiche_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 21:41:22 EST

Hi Folks,
        my name is Aaron Eiche, and I just joined the list. I have yet to
purchase a Newton, but I expect to in the next week. The way you folks
and others speak about the device (a 4 year old device!) makes it sound
like a dream machine. The Allure of wireless websurfing and email on
top of HRW and a replacement for my Dead since February Palm IIIx makes
it difficult to refuse, so I'm going to buy one, probably from Gem
Enterprises (There seems to be some mixed feelings about them, but I'm
shooting for decent quality at low cost and they look to be offering
the best deal in that way.)

I have two questions I need answered before I place the order, if you
folks would be so kind to oblige, and I might join your merry band of
people.

1) Upgraded 2000s (to 2100s) are all over the place and appear to be
generally cheaper than real 2100s
Is there any difference in Performance, functionality, or anything
after the unit's been upgraded? Is the only difference a matter of
psychological value of having a 2100 rather than an update 2000? If the
case is they really are the same, then I'll save $30 and just get the
upgraded unit.

2) I'm under the impression one may need a dongle(?) to connect between
a Newton and a PowerMac G4. I've got a Keyspan USB PDA adapter which
I've read will work if I get the serial PC cable (Newton Talk archives,
July 6, 2001), but do I need another thing to connect the PC cable to
the Newton?

If my question didn't make sense, here's a Diagram and you guys can
confirm or deny this:

Newton --> dongle-thingamabob --> PC cable --> USB Keyspan PDA adapter
--> PowerMac G4
or is it only:
Newton --> PC Cable -- USB Keyspan PDA adapter --> PowerMac

3) Can a G4 with an Airport card serve as a Base station for a Newton
with an 802.11 card in it?

Thank you For your help. I look forward to conversing with you, and
being part of the community.
-Aaron Eiche

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html