Re: [NTLK] Hello, I'm your new.. um, Newbie... (aka 3 questions)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 01:14:28 EST

on 12/11/02 3:41 AM, Aaron Eiche at aeiche_at_bigfoot.com wrote:

> 1) Upgraded 2000s (to 2100s) are all over the place and appear to be
> generally cheaper than real 2100s
> Is there any difference in Performance, functionality, or anything
> after the unit's been upgraded? Is the only difference a matter of
> psychological value of having a 2100 rather than an update 2000? If the
> case is they really are the same, then I'll save $30 and just get the
> upgraded unit.

Nobody else has mentioned this yet, but the only "gotcha" of getting an
upgraded 2000 is that it may not actually be upgraded--at least that is how
I see it. Without the external "proof" it can be hard to be sure. Especially
since, as time goes on, these things are going to be more and more pieced
together, and someone may think they have an upgraded 2000, but it merely
has part of a case of an upgraded 2000. If it's upgraded, have them write to
you what the memory info says in Extras. What you want is the line that says
something like "total installed memory." Unfortunately, I somehow left my
brain... Er, Newton home today, so I can't verify that. The number you want
is something like 3900+.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland