[NTLK] Some Newt PDF-->newtonbook ideas

From: Randy & Cheyanne (charan_at_centurytel.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 01:02:34 EST

Hello Newts,

        I too would like to read PDF's on the newton. I was wondering =
if=20
"we" could set up something like the old pilot screwdriver site. On=20
that site one entered the URL of a web page and the screwdriver web page=20=

had some code that converted the web page to text and then into a pilot=20=

.doc format.

        I imagine that we could enter the URL of the PDF file we were=20=

after and the page would convert it to a newton book that we could down=20=

load. It would be a great traffic generator for somebody's newton site.

        Now, I am no programmer and don't know what the background=20
conversion would entail. I imagine it would be pretty straight forward=20=

(this may be like someone with no medical training saying that it should=20=

be pretty straightforward and easy to replace a few arteries on the=20
outside of a heart :-). One would have to open the .PDF suck out the=20
text as simple text, convert whatever graphics are therein to greyscale=20=

of the proper size and dump it all into a newton book. If the=20
converter sat on a pretty big server, a cach=E9 already converted=20
pages/pdfs could be kept around to end constantly converting the same=20
sites.

        May as well make a web page to newtonbook converter, too. Have =
a=20
stock of regularly converted pages like NYT text sites or weather=20
channel, TV guide...well you get the idea. It would be kinda' nice to=20=

show up at that one site and download the day's news in the newton books=20=

you want.

         Or an email service that does the same and mails you your =
morning=20
newtonbooks.

just thinking[too much],

Randy

--
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed --=20=

and thus clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless=20=

series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. -- H.L. Mencken