[NTLK] chicken or egg

From: Sean Warburton (fotosport_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 19:03:41 EDT

Firstly, a quick hello to everyone on the list, I'm new here today but
I've dipped in and out of owning Newtons since they were introduced. I
just bought a tired but fully functional 2100 and an eMate which is
boxed and like new and I'm looking forward to getting to know people as
I get reacquainted with the Newton.

With that out of the way, I have a dilema.

I have a PCMCIA modem and an ethernet card BUT neither of my Newtons
have ethernet drivers installed or NIE utilities, I also have a later
desktop mac that has no serial ports. I need to install the drivers onto
one of the Newtons hopefully without buying a USB to serial adaptor.

I have two telephone lines and I wonder if it would be possible to
synch/ add packages by getting the Newton to dial my desktop machine and
use NCU to synch that way. I have the Newton ringing the number the Mac
is on but NCU won't answer the phone and talk to the Newton.

Can anyone offer any advice or solution that will save me having to buy
the adaptor for 5 mins work, once I have the ethernet drivers installed
I can use ethernet.

Thanks

Sean Warburton