Re: [NTLK] OT: Whence "genitive s" (='s)? (Was: AUGUST UPDATE)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 18:31:33 EDT

I think it's all due to laziness. I guess the mind set
is "why should I go out of the way to get something as
minor as a simple 's slow down my thought process as I
place it on the page. If you're NOT smart enough to
understand what I mean, then you're not smart enough
to have a conversation with"
It's somewhat similar to Warez speak. Qualify the
enduser through the medium.
True story.
I was developing a phone queue system for a customer.
We were laying out the menuing system and I was going
for simple and easy to navigate. When I presented my
idea, it was immediatly thrown out. The owner of the
company said "we deal in a highly technical field
(PDAs) If the caller can't get through a menuing
system, then they don't get to talk to a human, they
can leave a voicemail." So, that means that they
wanted to use a phone menuing system to weed out
stupid people...If you can't navigate a phone menuing
system, then you don't get to play with a PDA...simple
as that!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- "Gerstein, Sam" <Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com>
wrote:

> Hi Chris,
> I think the absence of the genitive 's is not really
> that widespread. I do
> see it dropped sometimes, but for example I don't
> think I've seen it in
> print. What I /do/ regularly see, even in print and
> once /carved in stone/,
> is the incorrect use of the genitive 's to make a
> plural. Constructions
> like "CD's for sale" and "used car's" annoy the heck
> out of me, and they're
> everywhere! :-P
<snip>

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting