Re: [NTLK] OT: Whence "genitive s" (='s)? (Was: AUGUST UPDATE)

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_Streamserve.Com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 18:02:19 EDT

Hi Chris,
I think the absence of the genitive 's is not really that widespread. I do
see it dropped sometimes, but for example I don't think I've seen it in
print. What I /do/ regularly see, even in print and once /carved in stone/,
is the incorrect use of the genitive 's to make a plural. Constructions
like "CD's for sale" and "used car's" annoy the heck out of me, and they're
everywhere! :-P

'Sam

p.s. as long as we're on the topic of Correct English (tm), I believe that
"whence" can only mean "from where", and not "to where". Perhaps "whither"
is more in line with what you were looking for?

[...]