Re: [NTLK] Happiness

From: Chris Searles (csearles_at_netcologne.de)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 18:22:23 EDT

> I have the Apple power adapter. It works well, but it has an US-style
>plug. And I only have European-style outlets around. :)
>
> Apple originally included plug adapters with the charger - UK-,
>Australian- and European-style. Does anyone have a spare European-style
>plug adapter lying around?

 I had the same problem. You basically have three choices:

1) Wait for one to come up on ebay. Usually a bit expensive cause they
want to sell you the whole set, i.e. UK, Australia, and Continental
Europe.

2) Order a European-style adapter from www.lotsabits.com in Germany (15
Euros). Seeing as you're in Poland that shouldn't be too big a problem or
expensive with the shipping. (Maybe you have a good friend in Germany,
like most Poles do, who can order one for you and bring it on his next
visit.)

3) Get someone in the States to send you a US-to-Europe adapter (e.g.
from Radio Shack).Your best bet then is to use an extension cord with
multiple sockets that lies on the floor with the sockets facing upwards
and then stick the Newton power adapter into the US-to-Europe adapter and
then into the socket so that it's parallel to the floor and then prop up
the long end of the Newton power adapter with a small block of wood or
whatever. (This is what I do.)

I mention this last point in detail since about the worst thing you can
do is to try to stick that power adapter into a US-to-Europe adapter and
then into a wall socket. It's normally such a flimsy connection that your
Newton power adapter will fall to the floor immediately. (I'm an American
living in Europe and every time I go back to the States now I shake my
head at the cheapo, flimsy excuse for electrical wall outlets they have
in America.)